On November 28th, I racked my pumpkin wine out of the primary fermenter and into two 1 gallon bottles; today I racked it for the second time.
There was a layer of sediment in each bottle as can be seen in the photograph below.
The wine, at 66 degrees Fahrenheit, had a specific gravity of 1.01, which indicates an alcohol content of 1.3%
Once I measured the specific gravity, I put a teaspoon of gelatin finings (for clarity) and wine tannin (for flavor) in the first empty, sanitized bottle of wine; I put gelatin finings in the second bottle as well,but not the tannin, since I wanted to see if there is a detectable difference in flavor.
After that, my assistants siphned the wine from one bottle to another sanitized bottle, taking care not to remove the sediment from the originals.
We avoided sediment transfer from one bottle to another, but the wine tannins created somewhat of a froth in the bottle; I do not know if there will be issues associated with it down the road. Once the siphoning was complete, I topped the two bottles off with water that was boiled prevfiously, replaced the airlocks, and returned the wine to its resting place in the cellar. In three months, I will rack this wine into bottles, so stay tuned.